There’s a bit of buzz starting to take place in the sports garment industry with the launch of Project Clothing’s OXYGN8™ range.
Recently launched in Australia, they contain Celliant® fibres woven into the fabric, and Celliant® contains thermo-reactive minerals which absorb your emitted body heat and convert it to infrared energy which is then reabsorbed by the body tissues. Infrared energy has been shown to have several health and wellness benefits, and is used in medical applications all over the world. The most significant effect of infrared energy on the human body is that it acts as a vasodilator, which essentially means the blood vessels at the site of application are increased in diameter. What does this result in? An increase in blood flow and tissue oxygenation while the garment is being worn, and we all know that blood flow is the most essential part of being able to perform to our best ability. Studies conducted on Celliant products have shown that there is an average of 8% increase in tissue oxygen levels at the site of application. 8% is a significant amount when you’re hoping to perform even just that 1% better.
These garments are classified as Medical Sports Garments, and have undergone rigorous testing and clinical trials to have Therapeutic Goods Administration Class 1 Medical Device designation. Celliant is also designated as a medical device by several other health agencies around the world, so the technology is being recognised as being beneficial to us, and many countries are jumping on board to promote it.
So what can you expect if you wear OXYGN8™ garments and the temporary increase in local blood flow and tissue oxygenation that it delivers?
- Better endurance. If you have an increase in blood flow, your working muscles can get more oxygen delivered to them. This means the biochemical reactions needed to go make your muscle fibres contract continue in a more efficient manner before fatigue really sets in.
- Increase in energy levels. Oxygen is the essential ingredient for a process called cellular respiration. This is when oxygen and glucose combine in the cells to make adenosine triphosphate (ATP). ATP is the molecule which provides energy to the cells. Even if you wear these garments while you’re not training, you’ll still get continuous benefits and feel more energetic as you go about your daily activities.
- Increased performance. Having more energy readily available for you to use when you need it most, you can be confident that your performance will be maximised.
- Faster and more efficient recovery. With the temporary increase in local blood flow and circulation, the transfer of oxygen and waste products can happen more efficiently.
- More restful sleep. Celliant used in bedding (or alternatively, worn at night time), has been clinically proven to enhance the rest your body receives from sleep, with subjects falling asleep faster and spending less time awake.
- The longer you wear OXYGN8™, the bigger and better the health benefits. So first and foremost, these garments are so comfortable you may never want to take them off!
The US Food and Drug Administration has defined Celliant containing garments as ‘General Wellness Products’. These products harness and recycle the natural heat emitted by the human body to boost performance and rebuild and recharge the human body after physical activity and while you sleep. Over 60% of the energy we consume is lost to escaping body heat. Many other textiles trap or vent that body heat. Celliant responsive technology and OXYGN8™ garments turns this normally wasted energy into infrared energy, which is a form of energy that can be recycled back into the body in a safe and natural way.
The benefits you will get from OXYGN8™ will last the lifetime of the garments, as the Celliant® fibres are woven into the fabric and won’t wash out. So the more you wear them, the more health benefits you’ll achieve!